In iOS 17, Apple introduced the ability to share an AirTag with a friend or family member. This will allow someone else to see the location of an item (ie car keys).
Some scenarios where you would benefit from sharing access to an AirTag:
- You loan out your house keys or car keys to a family member or friend
- You’re a caretaker of a family member who often leaves the house without their phone. So, you place an AirTag on their car keys or house keys to increase the chances of locating them if necessary.
- You put an AirTag on your dog and want to grant all family members access to the AirTag’s location.
To Share an AirTag
- Open the Find My app on your iPhone, then tap Items.
- Tap the name of the AirTag you want to share, then tap Add Person below Share This AirTag.
- Enter the Apple ID of the person you want to add.
AirTags have an anti-tracking feature. When an unknown AirTag is separated from its owner and traveling with you over time, your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch will notify you of the unknown device traveling with you. If you share access to the AirTag with a person, then that person will not receive the unknown tracker notification.
Learn more from Apple here.
Let us know how you use AirTags by leaving a comment below.