- Retina display
- 12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology
- 2304-by-1440 resolution at 226 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
- 16:10 aspect ratio
- Supported scaled resolutions:
- 1440 by 900
- 1280 by 800
- 1024 by 640
- 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz) with 4MB L3 cache
- 8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
- 512GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage1
Size and Weight
- Height: 0.14–0.52 inch (0.35–1.31 cm)
- Width: 11.04 inches (28.05 cm)
- Depth: 7.74 inches (19.65 cm)
- Weight: 2.03 pounds (0.92 kg)2
Graphics and Video Support
- Intel HD Graphics 515
- Dual display and video mirroring: simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels at 30Hz on an external display, both at millions of colors
802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible
Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
Charging and Expansion
- USB-C port with support for:
- USB 3.1 Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps)
- Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output
- VGA output using USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter (sold separately)
- HDMI video output using USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter (sold separately)
- 480p FaceTime camera
- Stereo speakers
- Dual microphones
- 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
Keyboard and Trackpad
- Full-size keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) individual LED backlit keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys with ambient light sensor
- Force Touch trackpad for precise cursor control and pressure-sensing capabilities; enables Force clicks, accelerators, pressure-sensitive drawing, and Multi-Touch gestures
Battery and Power
- Up to 10 hours wireless web3
- Up to 11 hours iTunes movie playback3
- Up to 30 days of standby time3
- Built-in 41.4-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
- 29W USB-C Power Adapter; USB-C power port
Electrical and Operating Requirements
- Line voltage: 100V–240V AC
- Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz
- Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
- Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-25° to 45° C)
- Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing
- Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet
- Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
- Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet
Accessibility features help people with disabilities get the most out of their new MacBook. With built-in support for vision, hearing, physical and motor skills, and learning and literacy, you can create and do amazing things. Learn more
- Increase Contrast
- Reduce Motion
- Siri and Dictation
- Switch Control
- Closed Captions
- Text to Speech
Declared noise emission values in accordance with ECMA-109
|Sound Power Level
L W A,m (B)
|Sound Pressure Level
L p A,m (dB)
|Idle||1.25 (K V = 0.25)||3.5|
|Wireless web||1.25 (K V = 0.25)||3.5|
- L W A,m is the mean A-weighted sound power level, rounded to the nearest 0.05 B.
- L p A,m is the mean A-weighted sound pressure level measured at the operator position (rounded to the nearest 0.5 dB).
- 1 B (bel) = 10 dB (decibel)
- K v is the statistical adder for computing upper-limit of A-weighted sound power level.
- The quantity, L W A,c (formerly called L W Ad) may be computed from the sum of L W A,m and K v .
- The Wireless web test browses 25 popular websites.
- Configuration tested: 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m5 processor, 8GB memory, 512GB storage, Intel HD Graphics 515.
MacBook and the Environment
Apple takes a complete product life cycle approach to determining our environmental impact. Learn more
MacBook is designed with the following features to reduce its environmental impact:
- Mercury‑free display
- Arsenic-free display glass
- Highly recyclable aluminum enclosure
- Meets ENERGY STAR Version 6.1 requirements
- Rated EPEAT Gold6
Apple and the Environment
Learn more about Apple’s dedication to reducing the environmental impact of our products and process. Or read our Product Environmental Reports for detailed information on the environmental performance of every Apple product.
Apple takes a holistic view of materials management and waste minimization. Learn more about how to recycle your Mac.
- 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
- Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
- Testing conducted by Apple in March 2016 using preproduction 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m5-based 12-inch MacBook systems with 512GB of flash storage (wireless web test and HD movie playback test) as well as preproduction 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m5-based 12-inch MacBook systems with 512GB of flash storage and 1.1GHz Intel Core m3-based 12-inch MacBook systems with 256GB of flash storage (standby test), all configured with 8GB of RAM. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The iTunes movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 1080p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The standby test measures battery life by allowing a system, connected to a wireless network and signed in to an iCloud account, to enter standby mode with Safari and Mail applications launched and all system settings left at default. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.
- Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area.
- iMovie, GarageBand, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are available on the Mac App Store. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID and a device that is compatible with the OS version required for each app.
- MacBook achieved a Gold rating from EPEAT in the U.S. and Canada.